Pet Passports

Pet Passports
Pet Passports

Would you like to take your pet on holidays to the UK, mainland Europe or further? You can now do this without the need for quarantine but your pet needs to meet Department of Agriculture requirements.

As of 1st January 2012, new regulations came into effect for pet passports.

The EU Pet Passport system is designed to protect citizens from the threat of rabies and certain other diseases. EU rules apply to the movement of pet dogs, cats and ferrets into EU Member States.

These rules cover:

  • Pet animal identification
  • Rabies vaccination
  • Waiting periods
  • Blood tests and parasite treatment (where relevant).

The document used to show that all of the requirements of the system are being met is the EU Pet Passport.

Every Irish pet brought out of Ireland to another EU Member State or brought back into Ireland must be covered by an EU Pet Passport. Follow the steps below and you can bring your pet on holiday!

To get a passport you must:

  1. Have your pet micro-chipped
  2. Complete the pet passport application form, which we need to complete and this can be done on the same day as the mirco-chipping, or at a later date if your pet was micro-chipped by us as a puppy and you now wish to take him/her abroad
  3. A rabies vaccination must be done AT LEAST 21 DAYS before entry into Ireland
  4. Dogs must be treated for tapeworms before entry back into Ireland.

Pet entry requirements into Ireland from the UK

From the 1st January 2012, the requirement is that all pets travelling from the UK to Ireland should be micro-chipped and accompanied by a pet passport.

As both Ireland and the UK have had no indigenous rabies for many decades, compliance checks on pets travelling between the two countries will not be applied. Pet owners travelling with their pets should therefore not experience any change on the ground from the 1st January 2012.

Certain high risk countries or countries outside of the EU also require blood tests to be carried out prior to travel.

Please visit the Department of Agriculture's website to find your specific country.